The state’s new Texas Rent Relief program will begin accepting applications February 15 from eligible rental property owners and renters. More than $1 billion in assistance is available through this program.
- The Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs is managing a Texas Rent Relief Program for eligible renters. TDHCA is offering informational webinars about this program at noon and at 3 p.m. on February 12.
- Register for the Texas Apartment Association’s upcoming webinar “Navigating the State’s New Rental Assistance Program” on February 16.
The Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA) has received approximately $1.3 billion in Emergency Rental Assistance funds from the newly passed Coronavirus Relief Bill Rental Assistance Program. TDHCA is using the funds to help Texas renters pay rent and utility bills (including past due rent and utilities).
TDHCA’s Texas Rent Relief program website and phone systems are up and running and ready to answer questions. TDHCA will accept applications from landlords and tenants beginning February 15, 2021, at 8 a.m. Central.
- Learn more and apply online.
- Learn more and apply by phone by calling 833-9TX-RENT / 833-989-7368.
The Texas Rent Relief program can help with the following costs starting as far back as March 13, 2020:
- Past due, current and up to three months of expected rent costs
- Past due, current or up to three months of expected utility and home energy expenses
- After the initial three months of forward assistance, households can apply for three additional months of assistance if funds are still available
Households must have incomes at or below 80 percent of the Area Median Income and meet other qualifications. Full details are available at TexasRentRelief.com. Applicants can complete an application by phone or submit an online application at TexasRentRelief.com starting 8 a.m. on Monday, February 15.
TDHCA is holding two identical informational sessions this coming Friday February 12, 2021 at noon and 3:00 p.m. CST. The sessions will provide general program information to landlords, apartment associations, Community Action Agencies, Council of Governments and any other interested associations or organizations interested in learning more about the program to share with their stakeholders.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
Program eligibility information is currently available at TexasRentRelief.com or by calling 1-833-9TX-RENT (1-833-989-7368) Mon.-Sat., 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. to speak with someone directly. Assistance is available in multiple languages, including English, Spanish, Mandarin, Vietnamese and Korean.