April is Fair Housing month. The Texas Apartment Association has resources to help you understand the basics of this federal law, including a new series of seminars during the TAA Education Conference & Lone Star Expo in Fort Worth this month focused on Fair Housing trends and enforcement.
- April is Fair Housing month.
- During the Texas Apartment Association Education Conference & Lone Star Expo in Fort Worth, a series of seminars on April 27 will cover key trends in fair housing law and enforcement.
- TAA, the National Apartment Association and the state agencies that enforce fair housing in Texas have resources to help you understand the law and its requirements.
The Texas Apartment Association’s annual Education Conference & Lone Star Expo this month in Fort Worth will include a seminar track on April 27 focused on Fair Housing laws, trends and enforcement. That’s appropriate, since National Fair Housing Month is celebrated in April, and the association is committed to helping members thoroughly understand the law and their obligations under it.
Conference Fair Housing seminar track
The TAA Conference Fair Housing track on April 27 includes these sessions:
Assistance Animals: Addressing Requests for Accommodation
David Fritsche, Law Offices of R. David Fritsche
Criminal Background Checks Under HUD Guidance
Jennifer Owen, Higier, Allen & Lautin, PC
Bathrooms & Felonies & Implicit Bias, Oh My! Fair Housing in 2017
Doug Chasick, CAPS, CAS, CPM, CLP, SLE, CDEI, Adv. RAM
Other fair housing resources
TAA, the National Apartment Association and Texas state agencies involved in fair housing enforcement have resources that can help members understand their responsibilities under the law.
- NAA support animals toolkit
- NAA/NMHC white paper on criminal background checks
- NAA/NMHC white paper on familial status and occupancy
- the TAA REDBOOK fair housing section and resources
- the April 2013 HUD DOJ statement on assistance animal and service animals
- the May 2004 HUD DOJ Joint Statement on Reasonable Accommodations and
- the March 2008 HUD DOJ Joint Statement on Reasonable Modifications
- TWC Civil Rights Division short videos on Fair Housing Rights
- Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs webinars on fair housing basics, accommodations and accessibility
Other options for fair housing education
Look for other opportunities in your community during fair housing month.