April marks the 50th anniversary of the federal Fair Housing Act. The Texas Apartment Association has resources to help you understand the basics of this federal law, including a series of seminars during the TAA Education Conference & Lone Star Expo in San Antonio this month focused on Fair Housing trends and enforcement.
- April is Fair Housing month, and the 50th anniversary of the federal Fair Housing Act.
- During the Texas Apartment Association Education Conference & Lone Star Expo in San Antonio, a series of seminars on April 26 will cover key trends in fair housing law and enforcement.
- TAA, the National Apartment Association and the state agencies that enforce fair housing in Texas have resources to help you understand the law and its requirements.
The Texas Apartment Association’s annual Education Conference & Lone Star Expo in San Antonio will include a seminar track on April 26 focused on Fair Housing laws, trends and enforcement. That’s appropriate, since National Fair Housing Month is celebrated in April, and the association is committed to helping members thoroughly understand the law and their obligations under it. This year also marks the 50th anniversary of this landmark federal anti-discrimination law.
Conference Fair Housing seminar track
The TAA Conference Fair Housing track on April 26 includes these sessions:
9-10 a.m. What’s Hot and What’s Not in 2018: Ensuring Fair Housing Compliance in an Ever-Changing World
Doug Chasick, CPM®, CAPS, CAS, Adv. RAM, CLP, SLE, CDEI, The Fair Housing Institute, Inc.
10:15-11:15 a.m. Responding to Unusual Requests for Accommodation
David Fritsche, Law Offices of R. David Fritsche
11:30-12:30 p.m. We’re Just a Good Old Family—Or Not: What’s Changed in Familial Status and Age Compliance
Doug Chasick, CPM®, CAPS, CAS, ADV. RAM, CLP, SLE, CDEI, The Fair Housing Institute, Inc.
Free fair housing training during April
In recognition of the 50th anniversary of the Fair Housing Act, the NAA Education Institute (NAAEI) is offering its “Fair Housing and Beyond” four-hour online training course to members free during April. Visit www.GoWithVisto.org and register, using the code fhbfree.
The course focuses on real-life situations, practical strategies, critical thinking and decision-making, and illustrates the costly consequences of responding incorrectly in the fair housing context. It was designed and developed in partnership with IREM and NAAEI member fair housing experts.
The Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs and Texas Workforce Commission Civil Rights Division also will be offering two free webinars in recognition of fair housing month in April. The webinars are designed to introduce, add to, or refresh general fair housing knowledge.
The two webinars are as follows:
Fair Housing Overview
Tuesday, April 10, 2- 3:30 p.m.
Learn about fair housing in Texas, including protected classes, discriminatory practices, exemptions, and fair housing testing. Participants will have a chance to apply their knowledge in a review of case scenarios.
Reasonable Accommodations and Accessibility
Tuesday, April 17, 2-3:30 p.m.
Learn about reasonable accommodations. What is a reasonable accommodation? How should a property respond? This presentation will also include information on service and assistance animals.
For further information please contact Suzanne Hemphill at Suzanne.Hemphill@tdhca.state.tx.us.
Other fair housing resources
TAA, the National Apartment Association and Texas state agencies involved in fair housing enforcement have resources that can help members understand their responsibilities under the law.
- NAA support animals toolkit
- NAA/NMHC white paper on criminal background checks
- NAA/NMHC white paper on familial status and occupancy
- the TAA REDBOOK and REDBOOK Online fair housing articles and resources
- the April 2013 HUD DOJ statement on assistance animal and service animals
- the May 2004 HUD DOJ Joint Statement on Reasonable Accommodations and
- the March 2008 HUD DOJ Joint Statement on Reasonable Modifications
- TWC Civil Rights Division short videos on Fair Housing Rights
Other options for fair housing education
Look for other opportunities in your community during fair housing month.