Did you know April is Fair Housing Month? The Texas Apartment Association has fantastic resources to help you understand the basics of this federal law, and how to access top-notch educational material.
- The Texas Apartment Association has compiled a list of helpful resources for members on an array of Fair Housing topics.
- Consider participating in an upcoming TDHCA/TWC free Fair Housing webinar.
- Embrace hands-on learning this Fall at TAA’s Education Conference in Fort Worth during our Fair Housing track. Learn more and register today.
Spring is here, and with it comes National Fair Housing Month celebrated throughout April. The Texas Apartment Association is committed to helping members thoroughly understand the law and their obligations under it, so we’ve compiled a helpful repository of educational resources for you and your community.
Upcoming free Fair Housing webinars
- Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs/Texas Workforce Commission on Civil Rights – Reasonable Accommodations – April 8, 2020
- Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs/Texas Workforce Commission on Civil Rights – Assistance Animals – April 14, 2020
Other fair housing resources
TAA, the National Apartment Association and Texas state agencies involved in fair housing enforcement have resources that can help members understand their responsibilities under the law.
- Texas Fair Housing Act (single-family)
- Texas Fair Housing Act (Subsidized Housing)
- Accessibility Features in Single-Family Affordable Housing
- Fair Housing Act of 1988
- DOJ’s ADA Requirements: Service Animals
- DOJ’s Frequently Asked Questions about Service Animals and the ADA
- HUD/Department of Justice (DOJ) Joint Statement on Reasonable Accommodations
Under the FHA
- NAA support animals toolkit
- NAA/NMHC white paper on criminal background checks
- NAA/NMHC white paper on familial status and occupancy
- the TAA REDBOOK fair housing section and resources
- the April 2013 HUD DOJ statement on assistance animal and service animals
- the May 2004 HUD DOJ Joint Statement on Reasonable Accommodations
- the March 2008 HUD DOJ Joint Statement on Reasonable Modifications
- TWC Civil Rights Division short videos on Fair Housing Rights
- Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs webinars on fair housing basics, accommodations and accessibility
In addition to these resources, make sure to join us September 2-4 in Fort Worth at TAA’s annual Education Conference & Lone Star Expo for a seminar track devoted to Fair Housing laws, trends and enforcement. With innovative learning events, opportunities to get your questions answered by industry experts and invaluable tools to help you navigate Fair Housing challenges the TAA Conference is one event you won’t want to miss. Learn more, and register today.